Dry, red or irritated eyes can be very troublesome. The cause …
… of dry eyes is always the lack of an adequate tear liquid.
The composition of the tears is very complex, containing water, fatty oils, and mucus…
…This mixture helps to make the surface of your eyes smooth and protect from infection.
The cause of the lack of adequate tear liquid can be attributed to 3 factors:
- Decreased tear production
- Increased tear evaporation
- Imbalance in the tear composition
Dry Eyes Cause: Decreased tear production
You are not able to produce enough tears (keratoconjunctivitis sicca)
Common causes include:
- Certain medical conditions, including diabetes, rheumatoid arthritis, lupus, scleroderma, Sjogren’s syndrome, thyroid disorders and vitamin A deficiency
- Certain medications, including antihistamines, decongestants, hormone replacement therapy, antidepressants, and drugs for high blood pressure, acne, birth control and Parkinson’s disease
- Tear gland damage from inflammation or radiation
Dry Eyes Cause: Increased tear evaporation
The tear liquid evaporates too quickly and cannot smooth the eye surface and protect the eye from infections.
Common causes here are:
- Dry air, smoke, wind
- infrequent blinking of the eyes – for example during times of high concentration or when working in front of the monitor
- Eyelid problems, such as out-turning of the lids (ectropion) and in-turning of the lids (entropion)
Dry Eyes Cause: Imbalance in the tear composition
The tear liquid is made up of three different layers – water, oil, mucus.
Problems with any of these layers can cause dry eyes.
Quite common is that the small glands on the edge of the eyelids (meibomian glands) are clogged…
… They are responsible for producing the oil for the oil layer of the tear.
How to get rid of dry eyes fast and efficient, without guessing what the root cause for your dry eyes are!
It provides every component contained in the natural tear liquid. You feel a relief of your symptoms within seconds.
Best of all, Systance Ultra Lubricant provides a protection that your eyes will not dry out again for the rest of the day. Apply only once a day and you are good to go!